A Quick & Effective 15-Minute Abdominal Workout with Slider Discs
Having been a three-sport athlete for most of life, having spent lots of time on the field, on the court and in the gym, I have experienced many different strength and intensity workouts and enjoyed every minute (well almost). Fast forward 15 years, married life with two small children creates less time to focus on the gym or myself for that matter. It's all about quick yet effective workouts that I can do in the comfort of my home when my kids are right beside me. This 15-minute Core Workout with core sliders from ProSource is a perfect fit. If this sounds like something you can integrate into your life then keep reading.
Full Disclosure: This core workout is tough. You can even see my face cringing a little towards the end. Ha! It is hard but effective and the best part, it's only 15-minutes. Make sure you read my tips and tricks at the end of the post to make this 15-Minute Core Workout completely your own. Let's do it!
1: Single-Arm Slide Out
Start in a high plank or push-up position with Core Sliders under each hand. With your core tight, slide one arm straight in front as far as you can and then pull back to plank position. Finish with a push-up and repeat on the opposite side.
3 Sets of 20 Reps (10 on each side)
2. Mountain Climbers
Begin in push-up position with Core Sliders under each foot. Slide one knee towards your chest and then alternate. Keep abs engaged and target obliques.
3 Sets of 30 Seconds
3. Body Saws
With Core Sliders under your feet, begin in plank position. With your core tight, slide your feet and body weight back and then return to starting position. Repeat.
3 Sets of 10 Reps
4. Cross-Body Arm Slides
In push-up position with Core Sliders in each hand, glide hand to the opposite side and bring back to starting position. Focus on not shifting your hips from side to side. Repeat. This one is really great for the obliques.
3 Sets of 10 Reps (5 on each side) Increase to 20 Reps if desired.
15-Minute Core Workout Recap
Complete 3 Sets of each Core Exercise
- Single-Arm Slide Outs - 20 Reps
- Mountain Climbers- 30 Seconds
- Body Saws - 10 Reps
- Cross-Body Arm Slides- 20 Reps
Tips & Tricks for An Effective Core Workout
1. Always keep your core tight and don't let your hips sag. Try to remember this throughout every exercise.
2. Don't be afraid to do a modified push-up on your knees. There is nothing wrong with that and I often do the same depending on if I'm too tired.
3. Take the workout in sections if you're short on time. If you can't commit to the workout in it's entirety, it's okay to only do a few of the exercises. I read somewhere that, "Doing something is better than doing nothing." There are many times when I just can't fit in an entire gym session so I substitute with mini exercises if need be.
4. If you're a parent, get the kids involved. I love to include my kids in my workouts. I think it's good for them to see their Mom working hard and I try to make it fun for them by counting my reps, cheering me on and I encourage them to try each exercise.
5. If you want to add some intensity to the workout, you can jump rope for 60 sections in between each set. It will add an additional 12 minutes to the workout.