We are all about quick and easy meals in our house but we do not like to compromise on nutrition. As our family is moving more and more towards a plant-based diet, I try to find meals that are easy to make and family friendly. These falafels are just that. I originally found this recipe on Weelicious (so many great recipes on this site). Due to shortage of time during the week, I have stripped down the original recipe to just 5 ingredients. Chickpea based with lots of added spinach, these falafels are packed with protein and nutrients.
I just brown them in a pan and serve them as is with a side of hummus or make a sandwich with some French bread, hummus and additional spinach or arugula.
I make about 2-3 batches at a time and then just freeze them. My kids LOVE these and I love the fact that they’re really healthy and easy. Give it a try! I’d love to know if you like them too!
5 Ingredient Falafels
(1) 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 Cup onion, chopped
1/2 Cup bread crumbs
1 Tsp cumin
Heaping handful of fresh spinach
*Kosher salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
Olive or canola oil for pan searing
French bread (if making a sandwich)
Hummus (we use Trader Joe's organic hummus)
1. Place the first ingredients in a food processor and puree. I don't measure the spinach. I just add a heaping portion and try to fill it to the top. Make sure everything is thoroughly mixed. Scrape down the sides and puree as needed.
2. I like to make 2-3 batches of this so I usually transfer to a large bowl. With moist hands, form falafels using about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and place on a plate if serving right away or parchment paper if freezing. Then form the remaining falafels.
3. In a saute pan, heat around 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Make sure the pan has a thin coating of oil.
4. Saute for 4 minutes on each side or until golden (add additional oil as needed if the pan gets dry.
5. Once brown, place falafels on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra oil.
6. Cool and serve along with hummus or create a sandwich.
So fast & easy!
If you're going to freeze, after step 2, simply place on a sheet of parchment paper, freeze for 30 minutes and then transfer to a zip lock bag.