*Photos by Domicile New England
My husband often says that it is not simply good enough to set a goal. Without an actual plan as to how you will accomplish the goal, you will succumb to old habits. In setting my fitness goals for this year, I've decided to heed his advice (shhh, don’t tell him I said he is right!). Not only will I have a plan but I am also creating a list of reasons why my fitness goals and working out are important to me. These are more than just words. They resonate with me and will remind me of the things I need to be mindful of in order to accomplish my goals and why said goals are important to me. On the days when I'm just too tired, I will refer to this list. When I just can't seem to find the time, I will refer to this list. When the weather turns warm and I want to ditch my workout plans for a margarita on the decks, I will refer to this list (let’s be honest, though, I will just have to make time after the workout for the marg!) Keep scrolling to find my strategy for maintaining fitness goals in 2018. I hope they can help you achieve your goals too!
My Strategy for Maintaining Fitness Goals in 2018
1. DISCIPLINE- I have none. Absolutely none. This is by far the most important word that I need to refer to when I'm heading in the wrong direction. I need to know that I lack discipline and own it. I must then be determined to change it. I know how good I feel when I'm active so there is no excuse to fall off track.
2. PATIENCE- Whatever my fitness goals may be, I must understand that results will take time. Not only being patient for the physical results but also in finding the workout that works for me.
3. ACCOUNTABILITY- I will track my workouts and hold myself accountable for when I do not meet that week’s goals. There will be times when I meet a friend out, or have wine with dinner or head to bed far past my bedtime. On those following days, I need to hold myself accountable and practice discipline (see #1) to get up and muscle through my workout (pun intended).
4. MOOD STABILIZER- This is probably one of the biggest things I need to remember when I'm falling off track. We often tell our children that each of us is in charge of our mood and attitude. But without question, working out makes this a whole lot easier. I need to remember how freakin' good it feels for my mind, body and soul when I'm active. The difference is incredible and I can feel the effects, instantly. When I'm active, I am a better wife, a better mother, a better professional, a better person. I practice more patience, I let things roll off my back, I am more productive and I laugh and joke around more. I'm not so serious.
5. DRESS FOR SUCCESS- This is one of the best ways for me to stay on track. For many years, I would just throw on an old t-shirt and some ripped shorts from high school when I was about to workout. Now I treat my activewear for working out the same as I do for any other occasion. Dressing for the occasion inspires self-confidence and better performance, in any scenario. This has been supported in many studies and I can honestly say that dressing the part improves my confidence, attitude and performance. This sports bra provides the support I need when running or during an interval workout. I love the color block detail on these leggings and fit sits perfectly on my hips, they're not too high or too low. The fit is perfect and I don't need to pull them up throughout my workout. When I wear fitness clothing that fits well, is comfortable, breathable and looks good, it makes me feel like I can take on the world and accomplish my goals.
*In collaboration with Fabletics.
OUTFIT PROVIDED BY FABLETICS: